Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Sitges

I love Sitges, my new favorite town in Spain. It’s one of the beautiful towns on the coast of Catalunya and it’s only about 20km aways from Barcelona.


I first went to Sitges with Francisco in June to eat at his friend’s restaurant. However, we were at one end of the town and I didn’t really see much besides the sea. This time around, I took the train and met up with Michelle. The train takes you right in the middle of the city. We spent the day walking around, shared delicious paella and then waffles with chocolate for dessert, and relaxed on the beach.


Sitges is very popular among the gay community, and with tourists looking for a day trip outside of Barcelona. Sitges also holds the Horror and Fantasy film festival every year. Apparently, it’s pretty famous and attracts a lot of Hollywood people like Quentin Tarantino. I wouldn’t know this of course since horror films scare the beejesus out of me. That weekend, the film festival was going on and there were even more people than usual, so a coffee on a terrace was the perfect cure for my people-watching obsession.


Sitges is pretty pricey, as expected with all the tourists visiting. Window-shopping is all we could really do, but it was fun anyway. I noticed there were lots of furniture and décor shops. I’m assuming they were there to serve all those people buying a weekend/summer house. Maybe someday, I’ll be one of those buyers…after I buy my house in San Sebastian, of course!


This quaint little town was simply beautiful. I really enjoyed the people, the food, the views and especially the beach. Its beach is way better than the one in Barcelona. Fortunately, Sitges is only 20 minutes away by train from El Prat. I have a feeling I’ll be going there a lot…

No comments:

Post a Comment