Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Living in Sin

Is really not as bad as I thought it would be. I know it’s only been a week but so far so good. Francisco is barely home, I have a lot of personal space, he’s fairly clean, he doesn’t have any annoying habits (not yet anyway), and he’s quite considerate.


This is probably all due to the fact that he has to work 16-hour days. So I’m alone a lot, which is not always good. The first week, it gave me too much time to think and stress and be sad about being unemployed and cashless. In general though, I really like my alone time and that was one of the reasons I was hesitant about living together. My friend, Briana, and my uncle Romeo, the two that really reassured me that it’s a good idea, were right. He leaves the house at 7:30, comes home for a two hour siesta in the afternoon, and comes home for a quick bite and sleep between 1:30 and 4, depending on the day of the week.


So if I had a job and didn’t spend so much time waiting for him to get home or hanging out at his bar, I probably would never see him. I think the biggest adjustment for me is more so the fact that I can’t be that selfish anymore. It’s weird that I have to think of someone else when I do things.


Exhibit A: sharing. I know I mentioned he gives me my space but that doesn’t necessarily mean I like to share it. I’ve pretty much taken over the closet. He doesn’t mind since he barely has any clothes, but I did feel bad after buying hangers and he asked me if I got some for him. I simply didn’t think he would want them. And I know I have to be better with my habit of starting a pile of clothes somewhere in the bedroom.


Exhibit B would be our Ikea trip. In Madrid, I made a lot of trips to Ikea and slowly made my room feel like home. I got my cute flowery beddings and décor without having to think if anyone else liked it or not. I’m already indecisive enough, but to have to decide as well about the other person’s decision completely sucks. Why can’t he just like what I like? Compromising is obviously not my strongest suit.


And lastly, exhibit C, the most difficult one for me. Last Wednesday, when I went to BCN, I ended up staying for a while and not coming home until the last bus at 10:30. It was only my third night here and I just didn’t think about calling him to let him know that I decided to stay later. He calls me and I don’t pick up because I’m hanging out with Michelle. When I did finally call him, he said he was worried because he thought I was coming home earlier. He thought I got lost. Thankfully, he’s not an angry person and was just glad I got home alright. This happened a couple of other times. Having to let someone know where you are or where you’re going is definitely going to be pain in the culo.


I know I definitely need to get used to not being single anymore. I got so accustomed to being on my own, and really, not having to deal with anyone if I didn’t want to. It was a good kind of selfish. Other than those minor adjustments on my part, everything else is fine. It really is a good feeling to wake up next to someone that’s not my sister, a drunken dude or a pile of clothes.

No comments:

Post a Comment