Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Buscando Trabajo

Job searching is never a fun nor an easy task for me. The past week has definitely been pretty stressful. Prior to my return to Spain, Michelle had told me that she’s still jobless. She’s been here for a month! She told me one of the main reasons for no one hiring her is the fact that she has no work papers. Crap! Nevertheless, I arrived completely motivated and optimistic.


On my first day of job searching, I noticed that 75% of job postings specifically require job permits. This made things a little bit more real and brought down my confidence level. How can I get a job without a work permit? But how can I get a work permit without a job? It’s like the chicken and egg. I kept sending my CV anyway to postings that didn’t mention papers. But by Friday, no one had still responded or called. I was so used to the pre-recession days, and Madrid, where schools called within days or hours. I was starting to panic and think of the worst.


By Friday afternoon, my mind started to roll out more ideas. I decided to contact EBC, where I got my TEFL certificate and ask for their help. Francisco also introduced me to a regular customer who teaches English from her house. She was very sweet and took my number so she can pass it on to anyone who might need classes. I also decided I needed to get going and put up my signs for private classes. I felt so down and unmotivated at first that I didn’t want to hang them up until I got a job at a school. Ideally I would like to teach only private classes because I can charge more. But without having a personal library, I need to work at a school to use their resources.


So far this week, things are looking a little bit better. I’ve received several emails from schools contacted by EBC. Unfortunately, they were schools in Madrid. EBC made a mistake and they have to resend my CV. I’ve also emailed my CV to more schools I found online that didn’t seem too strict with papers. My optimism is slowly coming back as well as my confidence. Hopefully, I’ll get more responses this week. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment