Thursday, February 18, 2010

Encounter with the Guardia Civil

The Guardia Civil, Spain's national police, is one of the few institutions that still remain from the Franco dictatorship. These cops have a reputation to be very tough and strict. Although Franco is long gone, I still can't help but associate the Guardia Civil with the old-school, one-sided, super conservative, fascist Francistas.

So it wasn't a surprise that I got a little nervous seeing all the Guardia Civil in the north of Spain -- probably also didn't help that I have always had a fear of authority (probably due to my catholic school upbringing...those nuns really traumatized me). They were literally everywhere. It didn't occur to me till later that I was in ETA territory. ETA is a militant group who want separation from Spain. For decades, they have been fighting for independence for the Basque Country using terrorist tactics.

In order to go to Robriguero, we had to go through a rotunda that connected many different routes in and out of the provinces of Asturias and Cantabria. On this rotunda, the Guardia Civil was always present. This was a very strategic checkpoint for them to look for potential Etarras transporting weapons and drug dealears smuggling drugs. It was only a matter of time that they would stop us.

Once they did pull us over, the Guardia opened the driver's door, popped his head in and said, do you have bombs, explosives, guns, pocket knives, marijuana, hashish, and other kinds of weapons or drugs? We sat there a bit stunned by the very direct and accusing question. We obviously replied with a no -- this type of questioning always bothered me. Who the hell would say yes?!! He then asked Francisco to get out of the car, empty his pockets, and put all his belongings on the car seat. When he was done, he was told to go in front of the car. The man then came around to my side, opened the door and asked me if I spoke Spanish. I said yes and he then told me to get out and join Francisco at the front of the car.

It was rainy and freezing that day, so Francisco and I stood there trembling and wet while the guy continued to search the car. I knew we were innocent but you can't help but be nervous when a guy with a gun is making demands and looking at your stuff. Francisco asked him if we could grab the umbrella at least and the guy said, yeah just stay there. I'm getting it for you right now.

Just when I started to get annoyed and more nervous about the whole thing, the man showed his human side. He asked Francisco to come and open the trunk. Francisco proceeded to walk over towards him WITH the umbrella, leaving me shocked/annoyed by his selfishness. The man, amused, then said, dude LEAVE the umbrella with your girlfriend!

The man shortly after let us go and gave his thanks with a smile. This man totally changed my perspective on the Guardia Civil. They're not so bad after all. If anything, maybe all men, especially my boyfriend, should join the Guardia Civil and learn a little something called chivalry.

No comments:

Post a Comment