Thursday, December 3, 2009

Life and its many surprises

It’s amazing how things ALWAYS work out. A few weeks ago, I had my first breakdown since I’ve arrived in Barcelona. I couldn’t stop crying and it was for no particular reason. It was a combination of many worries: the lack of a job, the lack of money, and the lack of friends because it’s hard to make friends without spending money. All this – things that consistently concern me but always try to ignore – was amplified this time around by the fact that my hormones were out of wack.


When the hormones finally left, I was feeling much better and went back to positive thinking only mode. About a week later, my luck started to change. First I got myself a new private class. Second, I got called for a job interview at a new school, which hired me a few days later to start in January. This school is much more organized and more professional than the one I’m in now. They have more company classes and they pay well. And lastly, Tess emailed me that she had bought a ticket to visit BCN.


Francisco’s luck was also changing. He finally found a new chef. Now that they are fully staffed, he has a little more time for himself. That same week, he and his brother won 2nd price for El Prat’s Innovative Entrepreneur of the year (first price went to a couple of guys who put up a affordable parking structure for travelers going to the airport nearby). Besides monetary award, the boys will be on El Prat’s magazine and Francisco was interviewed in El Prat’s radio. Hopefully all of this will give them more publicity.


And just when I thought it couldn’t get any better, a great offer came. Luisa was the first person to hire me for a private class. She hired me right before I had my breakdown. The week we were supposed to begin class she got the flu and had to cancel. She cancelled again the week after. I was starting to think she had changed her mind.


Last week, she called me so we could meet up and talk about the classes. At the meeting she told me that she still would like to have classes, but she also had another idea. She proposed that I do “real life” things with her while speaking English and putting the language in context. This means that she would take me shopping, take me out to eat, and best of all, travel with her. Everything would be paid by her.


Whaaaattt??? That’s exactly what I was thinking. When she was finally done laying out her proposal, she asks me if I thought she was crazy and if I was interested. I was almost speechless. I, of course, told her how much I loved the idea. She was very glad to hear it and very relieved that I didn’t think she was crazy. We started class last week and she wants to plan our first trip soon. She also introduced me to other people who are interested in English classes. I couldn’t be happier to have known this lady.


I knew moving to Barcelona would have its ups and downs. I remember how it took me a good four or five months to really feel comfortable and be truly happy in Madrid. As always, in any big transition, one has to overcome many difficult moments. Unfortunately, during down time, it’s easy to forget these things.


It's just like what Forrest Gump said: "Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get".

1 comment:

  1. so happy for you, fran! and wow that nice lady is paying you to be yourself? what a great job you have. i wonder where you'll go on your first trip. suggest hawaii ;)

    ReplyDelete